More Bun And More Bear

Monday, July 21, 2014

Cook Book Review- The Vegan Stoner Cookbook


I am not a stoner. I have friends who are and I have nothing against pot, I just don't smoke because I have wicked asthma and my man gets tested for work. BUT I do love The Vegan Stoner Cookbook.
My grandma, who recently passed away, got me this cookbook for my last birthday. She was very supportive of my going vegan and thought this book was something I would enjoy because it had simple recipes that were a lot of fun and also a bunch of cute illustrations. I like my cookbooks with lots and lots of pictures.
The book is divided into sections, breakfast, lunch, munch, dinner and dessert, with different recipes in each section. It's a small book but each recipe is only a single page so they really make use of the space. The back of the book has a short guide on making basics like vegetable broth, a basic tomato sauce, and "herb oil" which is handy if you want to make edibles instead of smoking or vaping. I haven't tried that one though, so I'm not sure how great it is.
The best thing I can say about this book is that it is super useful on a regular basis. It is very uncomplicated. The recipes don't need a million ingredients, and they don't take a lot of time or effort to make. They're also very easy to customize. I always end up adding own fave fruit or veg or spices, and that is something this book encourages.
Today I am going to be making two great recipes, partly to show how awesome this book is and partially because I am going to go see friends tonight and that's an excuse for me to cook for a bunch of people and I love that.  
This is how The Vegan Stoner presents recipes; in super cute illustration form with a simple list of instructions on the side. Easy and cute!

I love coconut dishes. It's not a flavor you see a lot in western savory cuisine, but it's something I have grown to love. This recipe is amazingly simple and so easy to customize. The recipe is fine as is, I just happen to like more spices in most of my dishes, so I add the following:

Optional Spices-
2 tsp turmeric
1.5 tsp curry powder
2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
.5 tsp fresh grated ginger

Simply follow the normal directions and stir in any or all of these ingredients when you mix the coconut milk and flour.

The second recipe I chose was a dessert, baked banana cake! I don't bake a lot but it's some I really want to do more of. Vegan baking can be difficult but this recipe makes dessert simple.


Once again, I decided to change this recipe a little. I love bananas but I also love a lot of other fruits. So I chose to add some strawberries and raspberries. Strawberries have a great sweetness while the slightly tart raspberries will keep the dish form being too sugary. Again, this recipe is great as is, but the thing I love most about this cookbook is using it as a starting point for some great dishes that are entirely my own.

And here is how mine turned out-





Overall I give The Vegan Stoner Cookbook a 5/5!
Keep up with lots of awesome recipes by going the Vegan Stoner Blog






No comments:

Post a Comment